An anal fissure is a tear in the skin surrounding the anus. Anal fissures are uncomfortable and painful and get worse during or after defecation. At times, the anal fissure may bleed a bit. These fissures may occur in adults or in children. Anal fissures most often heal by themselves within a few weeks.
What causes Anal Fissures?
An anal fissure may occur due to various reasons:
* Irregular bowel habits and straining at stools (Most commonly because of lack of fibre in diet)
* Frequent diarrhoea (underlying problems with the digestive system)
* Severe constipation
* Straining during childbirth
* Over tight anal sphincter muscles
* Injury to the anal canal (Trauma due to accidents or hard, dry bowel movement)